Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Apple Picking...or not.

Today Aiden and I had plans to go apple picking at a local farm with the new playgroup (well..the playgroup isn't new...I am). We rushed around after his lunch to make sure we weren't late since I had no idea where I was going. Got Aiden in the car and drove the 20-some minutes to the farm. I swore we were never going to get there. I should have known that a farm would be in the middle of nowhere! I pulled in the parking lot and saw no other cars. I just figured (i.e. hoped) we were the first ones there. In the distance I saw the farmer and his wife who looked like they were getting ready to leave. I then saw the sign "Orchard Closed". :( Disappointment!!! I kind of lingered in my car and figured I'd just wait for the other mommies to show up. The farmer and his wife drove toward my car and stopped, so I got out and explained our plans. All he said was, "It's always best to call first...". And that was it. So I just said I'd hang around and let the others know. A few others showed up and all were diappointed. Some of the older kids (3-4 years old) were pretty bummed too...although they got over it quickly by playing in some dirt in the parking lot. Rather than waste a playdate, we just drove to "Kidsburg", a local park that has two sections, one for 5 and unders and one for 6 and ups. Of course this happens on a day where school let out early so the entire park was hectic. There were a lot of older kids running through and practically taking over the 'baby' equipment.

Despite the disappointment of not being able to pick apples..we had a pretty good time at the park. I don't think Aiden was feeling very well...he was very mellow and not really interested in anything. Although he may be more like me than we know...and enjoyed his time watching other people. :)

We've been doing a lot of walking around the apartment complex lately. Shortly after we moved here I decided to get a backpack carrier to carry Aiden in while we walk the dogs. He's doing well walking, but doesn't always follow directions and neither do the dogs. So I couldn't figure out just how I'd manage the dogs having to be walked on leashes now and Aiden simultaneously. It's a fabulous investment and has worked out really well. In the mornings, we take Oscar and Shandy for a few laps. And in the afternoon they get another lap or two before we put them back in the apartment and release Aiden from the carrier. He then leads me around while he talks and stops to say hi to anyone he comes across. He doesn't seem to mind the carrier though...he actually fell asleep in there on our morning walk yesterday. I'm really enjoying the walks...as I don't get much time for exercise otherwise....so several walks a day do us good! (Not to mention, all the kiddies get tired out!) Yesterday I tried doing some of my Biggest Loser boot camp DVD, and Aiden thought it was hysterical watching me do jumping jacks and then felt I needed some extra weight on me while I attempted some push ups. It was quite the sight! Anyway...thanks for sticking around if you've made it this far! Here's just a little picture of us bundled up on our chilly walk this morning!



2 comments:

mrsbuckett said...

aw. you guys look cute. glad you're enjoying your walks and it was great talking tonight. :)

Dempseys said...

i LOVE his hat!!! i hear ya on the exercise. Rich and I have actually devised a new plan. As soon as I get home, I go right upstairs and workout for 30 minutes on my elliptical while watching my DVR'd Ellen episode from the day and I've started waking up/showering first so he works out in the morning. So far, so good ... but it's definitely tough!!

Followers